Melon Fly Damage SymptomsPosted Saturday, January 15, 2022 ( 9 months ago)
Last updated: January 15th, 2022
- Scientific name:Bactrocera cucurbitae
Melon Fly is a cute female that burrows into the ovary and lays its eggs. The resulting larvae feed on the flesh of the pods and grow. Spike growth can be damaged at any time. Melon Fly larvae cause damage to the pods, causing the pods to rot. Stirring the ground around the vines with a rake can destroy the fly opportunity. Remove damaged pods from crop and destroy. Damage to the pods can be controlled by covering the pods with a thin layer of polythene or paper at an early age.
Methods to combat the melon fly / How to Control Melon Fly
- Hang grease strips on yellow polythene straps
- Destruction of crop residues remaining in the previous season.
- Melon Fly is highly contagious due to damaged fruits/pods in abandoned fields and can easily migrate to new plantations due to the ability of hive flies to fly large distances quickly.
- Removal of other host plants around the crop (Kowakka, Labu, Drought Weeds) Pest control using pheromone traps applied with cue-lure.
- About 04 traps per acre should be placed. The male fly population can be reduced as only the male flies are attracted to the pheromone trap. As a control system, this is effective in the long run.
- Damaged pods are packed in a black polythene bag, tied, and placed in the sun or buried deep.
- Cover the fruit as much as possible. The polythene cover should be about 6 inches longer than the fruit. Its lower end should be left open.
- Destruction of Melon Fly grown locally using protein bait/insecticide mixture. This is a very successful control method as both male and female Melon Fly are attracted to protein bait.
How to apply protein bait
- Add 20 ml of Spinosad (Succeed 2.5 SC) insecticide supplied with 400 ml of Protein bait (Lak Gro Bait) to make the mixture.
- For commercial cultivation, add water to this complete mixture and make 16 liters of spray mixture.
- For home gardens mix 25 ml of protein bait and spinosad (Succeed 2.5 SC) mixture with 1 liter of water and make 1 liter of spray mixture.
- Spray the protein bait mixture so that the underside of the vines is well moistened at a distance of 10-15 feet from the plant. Avoid spraying on nuts.
- It is sufficient to apply about 200-400 ml of the spray mixture at one location at 200-400 ml per hectare. (80-160 places per acre)
- Depending on the number of Melon Flies caught in the pheromone trap or the number of damaged pods, the number of sprays per place and the number of sprays per hectare can be increased or decreased as above.
- Start applying protein bait with the onset of flowering and spray again every 5-7 days till the end of harvest. If washed away by rain, spray again.
- Spraying protein bait between 7-9 in the morning is most effective.
Cochineal Allergies, intolerance they shared dye
- Chop 25 g of kohlrabi seeds in a liter of water, leave it for 24 hours, mix it with 4-5 liters of water and soap and spray in the evening.
- It can be used to control leaf-eating fruit-bearing and stem borers, plant and leaf-eating mites, leaf-eaters, weevils, mites, whiteflies.
- Stir the soil to destroy the pilaf stage. Remove damaged nuts from crop and destroy.
Melon Fly Chemical control
- Apply 50% Fenthieon insecticide every 2 weeks from the time of flowering.
- It is advisable to mix 25 g of sugar per liter of the pesticide mixture mixed with water.