Coconut Cultivation in Sri LankaPosted Monday, August 23, 2021 ( 2 months ago)
Coconut has been cultivated for local consumption since ancient times but it spread as a commercial crop only during the colonial period.
Distribution of Coconut Cultivation:
The area known as the Coconut Triangle which connects Colombo, Kurunegala and Chilaw is the main cultivation area. The area around Ranna, Middeniya and Tangalle is important as a small coconut triangle. Apart from that, it is cultivated sparsely along the narrow coastal belt from Colombo to Tangalle in the Batticaloa and Jaffna Peninsulas and in the dry zone groundwater areas.
Affecting Factors for coconut cultivation:
- Presence of hot humid climate.
- Temperature up to 20-27 (Celsius).
- Annual rainfall between 2000mm - 2500mm.
- Lowlands less than 300m.
- Having salty sandy soil.
- Human labour.
The Trends saw here:
- Expansion activities of the Coconut Research Institute
- Expansion of consulting services.
- Encouraging people to cultivate coconut as a home garden under subsidy.
- Prevalence of intercrops in coconut lands
- Ceramics Pepper
- Diversification of products.
- Granting of cultivation loans
Issues related to coconut cultivation:
- Low yield.
- Pests and insect pests.
- Selling coconut lands in plots.
- Climate disturbances.
- Decrease in the volume of exports due to increase in domestic consumption.
- Coming to the market as a substitute for coconut products.
- Lack of government sponsorship to increase coconut cultivation.
Steps taken to develop coconut cultivation:
- A development scheme has been introduced to cultivate new coconuts. It is called Kapruka Investment.
- Loan schemes have been introduced for the mechanization of coconut cultivation, intercropping, irrigation and farms under this situation.
- Under cultivation has been introduced to increase the income of coconut planters.
Government assistance to cultivate passion, banana, pepper and betel in those lands.
- At present, steps have been taken to process various liquids based on coconut products
- Coconut powder
- Coconut cream
- Introduction of high yielding coconut species by the Coconut Laboratory located at Lunuwila. (By tissue culture)
- Various measures have been taken to reduce and control the epidemics of coconut cultivation.
Industries of related to coconut cultivation :
- Coconut oil
- Coir industry
- Making of furniture’s
- Making a variety of foods
- Production of dried coconut milk