Centella Asiatica - Gotu Kola CultivationPosted Saturday, September 04, 2021 ( 2 months ago)
Centella Asiatica has been a very popular herb since ancient times. It is a good demand in the market for Centella Asiatica which has its special taste. Ayurveda states that it has medicinal properties. Centella Asiatica is an iron-rich leaf.
Types of Centella Asiatica
Goṭukoḷa is divided into two main types according to the growth pattern.
Many plants grow in one place as a bush. Normally a thicket sheets 100-130 of the amount, which loses cm Is about 10-15. Centre the apex with a square-sized sheet of any paper cm 2.5 cm and width Is about 4.5 cm.
From the seedlings sprout bushes and drive growth also take place. Because of this, it grows and spreads across the field. At the driver's point, the roots of the nodules are attached to the ground and grow into new plants.
These can be divided into three sections according to the size of the Foliage.
- Large-leaved species (Giant Centella Asiatica)
The length of a leaf is about 1 cm. 5.5 cm and width cm. Is about 8.5. One driver bushes 4 - 6 about the takes. The length of a stalk is approx. Is about 15. Brush over the year plus the speed and, land unit than the yield available. When ripe, the taste is reduced and should be harvested quickly.
- Type of leaves of medium size
The length of this type of leaf is approx, 2.5 cm and width about 4 cm. The length of a stalk is approx., Is 10 - 15. One bush has about 30 leaves and 4-6 shoots per bush. This variety is mostly used for commercial cultivation. More flavorful than other varieties. Also used for export.
- Type with small leaves / Vel Gotukola
The length of a leaf is about 1 cm. 1.5 cm and width cm. Is about 2.5. One bush has about 10 leaves, with 3 - 5 drivers per bush. The length of a stalk is approx. Is about 6 - 8 p.m. This is also known as Vel Gotukola. There is a special demand for these in the market. This type is mostly used for making porridge.
Water does not depend on lowlands as a single crop, upland coconut, banana, scissors yields, and other crops, and goṭukoḷa as the lower crop can be grown easily. Soil water dependence is detrimental to Centella Asiatica cultivation.
The need of the family can be easily met by planting a bush bed or a few bushes in pots in every garden. Centella Asiatica can be grown on sloping lands as a soil conservation method.
Climate needs of Gotu kola ( Centella Asiatica ) cultivation
Centella Asiatica can be grown in any part of Sri Lanka if water is available but the wet zone with year-round rainfall is more suitable for cultivation. In the wet zone tea, coconut, rubber etc. vines naturally grow well. Selecting a rainy season to start the cultivation can reduce the damage caused by the death of the seedlings.
Planting material used for Centella Asiatica cultivation
Medium-sized mature seedlings with roots obtained from healthy shrubs or shoots that are not affected by roundworm damage are selected for planting. About 10-15 seedlings can be obtained from a well-grown bush, It is advisable to cut and remove the leaves 2-3 days before getting the seedlings from the bushes.
- The following planting material sizes are required for an area of 100 square meters.
- Shrubs and giant shrubs- 5,000- 7,500 plants
- Medium sized leafy vines- 9,000- 10,000 seedlings
- Propagated by seeds of flowering and fruiting stems. Their racial purity cannot be expected.
The gap in which the Centella Asiatica is cultivated
Shrub type and giant gothic- cm. 20 * 20
Vines with medium-sized leaves - cm. 15 * 15
Both varieties are planted at the same time with 2-3 seedlings. The type of vine can be planted even at random.
Soil requirements affecting Centella Asiatica cultivation
Slightly acidic, well-drained soil with a pH of 6-7 is more suitable for gourd cultivation.
Preparation of land for Centella Asiatica cultivation
Depending on the location chosen for cultivation, the ground should be preparing for the use of elevated beds or sunken beds as appropriate so that water does not depend on it. If the soil is loose, the tops of the twigs extend more than a foot deep.
Cultivation in low lying areas
When selected for waterlogged lowland (paddy) cultivation, first turn the soil and level the soil by crushing the stones to prevent weeds from decomposing. Then, arrange the drains around the scroll and in the middle as needed to allow the water to drain well. Due to water dependence during the rainy season, lowland plantations are easily destroyed. Therefore, it is important to pay more attention to drainage.
Cultivation in the highlands
Finely compact the soil by turning the ground to crush the weeds well. Drain as needed to drain the water. It is best to plant in sunken beds about a meter wide.
Planting of Centella asiatica
2-3 seedlings should be planted in one place at regular intervals in the prepared ground. About a week before planting, the required amount of organic manure (basic mixture) should be added to the soil. When planting, the soil must be moist and planting in the evening can minimize the drying of the seedlings.
It is important to provide shade if there is dry weather after planting. You can use things like coconut twigs for this.
Fertilizer application for Centella Asiatica Gotu Kola cultivation
Both organic and chemical fertilizers are used for Gotukola cultivation.
Decomposed manure, poultry manure, compost and green manure are used as organic fertilizers. Poultry manure is widely used for commercial cultivation. It does not spread weeds and also helps in controlling roundworm damage.
When using chicken manure, planting four days ago, the soil should be mixed. Then water daily payback should model. Other organic fertilizers year right, the plants are planted in 3-4 should be mixed before the soil around. After months of 4 times over, sprinkle as farming spread throughout the appropriate amount of organic fertilizer should be. Year progress meter 1000 organic fertilizer tons of land is 1 million are used around. Fertilizer should be applied to remove the remaining leaves as water.
Chemistry Chemical fertilizers
Since the application of organic manure alone is not sufficient, chemical fertilizers should also be applying to the crop for higher yields.
About two days before planting, apply the following fertilizers in the required amount and mix well.
Year progress meter 1,000 million (acres 1/4) land is for
- Urea - 9 Kg.
- Concentrated Super Phosphate - 13.5 Kg.
- Muriate of Potash - 10 Kg.
Apply the following amounts of fertilizer for an area of 1000 square meters.
4 weeks after planting urea 9 Kg.
After each harvest, urea is applied at a rate of 1 Kg/ha. 4.5 and Muriate of Potash1.5 Kg.
Concentrated Super Phosphate 1 Kg every 6 months. 6.5 for the cultivation of the surface of the manure, leaves as the water washed down the surface of the fertilizer spray.
Irrigation for Centella Asiatica cultivation
Due to lack of water, the growth of Gotukola is stunted. Therefore, it is extremely important to maintain soil moisture. Water should be provided as appropriate. It is also not advisable to supply too much water.
Weed control in centella Asiatica cultivation
The growth of weeds in the crop reduces the yield of the crop. Mixing weeds with Gotu kola at harvest reduces its quality. So, even marketing is difficult. Helps to spread weed diseases and pets. Therefore cultivation should be kept as clean as possible without weeds.
Diseases affecting Centella Asiatica cultivation
Two viral diseases have been identified in Centella Asiatica. The cucumber mosaic virus and Putty ( potty ) virus species. They are believed to cause viral symptoms in the Centella Asiatica plant.
The first yellow leaves mixed with green spots vividly is that. Tender leaves irregular spherical. Leaves are small and yellow. After the leaves have brown spots will occur. Sometimes the edges of the leaves and stem are purple. Disease When the plants become stunted bushes lay less. Finally, the plant dies.
The aphid virus diseases in plants, the juice sucked, back healthy plants sap-sucking because sick because of planting, the disease spreads. Diseased plants should be uprooted and the disease should be controlled. There is no cure for viral diseases.
Leaf spot disease - a circus fungus that causes purple circles on the leaves and then turns yellow and dies. Only if the disease couldn't be controlled, the leaves should be cut off and mixed with a fungicide such as mancozeb, maneb, Antracol or Daconil at the rate of 2 gm per liter of water and sprayed to moisten the crop.
Root rot disease - Centella Asiatica root rot caused by Fusarium or Sclerotium ( sclerotium spp.) Fungal species.
Symptoms - After the roots and stems rot and the plant withers or the leaves turn yellow, the plant dries up and dies. If the disease is out of control, dilute one of the fungicides, Homai or Thiram, in water, remove the diseased plants and apply a flower bucket to the surrounding area to moisten the soil. Liters of water 1 of fungicides g 2 million should be dissolved as the second.
Infection with the bacterium Pseudomonas solanacearum causes the plant to wither and die at once. Once infected, there is no cure for the disease.
Since the leaves are eaten, you should try to control the diseases by avoiding the use of chemicals as much as possible. The following actions can be taken for this purpose.
Disease management to can act Stories can access
- Removal of infected plants
- Weed control and keeping the crop clean
- Allow the crop to receive good sunlight
- Planting only healthy planting material.
- Improving soil drainage
- Avoid applying too much nitrogen fertilizer as required
- Following crop rotation
Pests affecting Centella Asiatica Gotukola cultivation
- Suck sucking bug Halticus tibialis (garden flea hopper) - Halticus tibialus the drinks suck the juice of green small black bugs, leaves from damage due to plant. Juice of white spots in the places stomach. When the damage is severe, white spots spread throughout the leaf. When pesticides need to be applied, spray with 1 ml of Atabron or Trybone per 1 liter of water.
- Red Spider Mite Damage - Symptoms and Control of Damage Similar to Mukunuwenna Cultivation.
- Worm damage the - meloyiḍgayinē ( Meloidogyne ) species of root nodes worms is another. This roundworm enters the roots of the Centella Asiatica plant and forms root nodules, which interfere with the absorption of water and minerals by the roots.
- In addition, secondary infections of the roots are caused by fungi and bacteria due to the damage of roundworms.
Symptoms of damage
The growth is stunted and the plant is stunted. The leaves turn yellow. There are nodules on the roots. The roots are unusually large.
· Planting only healthy seedlings.
· Use of chicken manure as an organic fertilizer.
· Following a crop rotation. For this purpose, it is advisable to plant Thampala crops.
· Do not apply nitrogen fertilizers unnecessarily.
Harvesting of Centella asiatica Gutu kola cultivation
- The first harvest can be obtained in about 100 days after planting in a well-maintained crop. Harvesting is done in several ways.
- Cutting the Centella Asiatica bush slightly above ground level. Here it takes about 2 months for the bush to grow back and get the next harvest.
- Break off with a stick only the leaves that have matured to the required size around the bushes. This method can be harvested about once in 2 weeks.
- In vines, the leaves, which have matured, are removed by hand with the stalk. This method can be harvested many times.
- In cases where the leaf stalks of the vines are not well elongated, the stems have to be uprooted from the roots at the points where they are connected to the ground. This method makes it difficult to sell by harvesting.
- Too many of the shark and disease damage awards after harvest from the yellow coloration of the leaves and cleaning the mesh bags tied in bundles in will be sent packing as the market is not strong, such as pots or containers thatched.
The yield of Centella Asiatica cultivation
4000 sq. m (per acre) of cultivation at a time. Yield is around 4000 – 5000.
Crop rotation in Centella asiatica Gutu kola cultivation
When it takes 2-3 years to cultivate Centella Asiatica, it is advisable to remove it and apply another crop on the land. It is especially difficult to control roundworm damage when gourds are grown continuously in the same field. Other diseases are also on the rise.